👋 Our new book on Unity is about to come out! We think it’s our best yet. If you’re interested in game development, please check it out?
We’re excited to be teaching Unity game development live online next week, through O’Reilly Media’s Safari platform! It’s free for Safari members. Learn to build video games with one of the most popular engines around. January 17 and 18, 6PM to 9PM, AEDT.
We’re also running the same workshop again, at the end of February, if that date suits you better! Check it out.
“If you want to build any kind of game for mobile platforms, you’ve got
to take a look at Unity. This book is an excellent, thorough, and
seriously fun guide to putting together gameplay in one of the best game
engines out there for indie developers.”
– Adam Saltsman, Creator of “Canabalt” and “Overland” at Finji
“The best way to learn how to use a game engine is by getting your hands
dirty and building your own projects. In this book, Paris and Jon guide
you through the creation of two radically different games, giving you
invaluable hands-on experience with a wide range of Unity’s features.”
– Alec Holowka, Lead Developer of “Night in the Woods” and “Aquaria” at
“This book changed my life. I now feel inner peace, and I’m pretty sure
I can see through time.”
– Liam Esler, Game Developers’ Association of Australia
Here’s what we’ve been working on:
- Designing Games that People Want to Play (on Safari)
- Getting Started with Game Development in Unity (on Safari)
- Developing 3D Games with Unity (on Safari)
- Creating 2D Games with Unity (on Safari)
- Creating First-Person-Shooter (FPS) Games with Unity (on Safari)
- Creating 3D VR Games with Unity (on Safari)
- Creating Narrative Games with Unity (on Safari)
- Just Enough Game Art (on Safari)
- Getting Your Game Out There (on Safari)
If there’s no purchase available yet, there will be soon! Everything is available on Safari right now, though.
- UIKit Dynamics for iOS
- Constraints in iOS
- Table Views in iOS
- Getting started with Swift on the iPad
- The Basics of Designing 3D Art
with Blender and Unity
Our newest books are also available now:
- Learning Swift (on the latest Swift/iOS/macOS)
(also on Amazon and Safari)
- The Kerbal Player’s Guide
(also on Amazon and Safari)
- Check out our talk “The Mun and Back”, from OSCON 2015 as well!
Last weekend I was fortunate enough to be part of a team for GovHack 2013. Together with 9 friends, a game about appliances, energy consumption, and battling was born. You can read more about the project, Marvellous Ultimate Appliance, at the team website. We also put up a blog post on the Secret Lab blog.
We were lucky enough to win won of the national GovHack prizes: Best use of data.gov.au. A number of friends also won local and national awards!
Check out all my photos from the event on Flickr.
Just announced: Unity Mobile Game Development For Dummies!